Saturday, June 13, 2009

Greatest show on dirt



Last night marked the official start of the College World Series (CWS) and I came as close to watching a baseball game as I will EVER come. I am absolutely not a baseball fan. I'd much rather watch paint dry than sit through an inning. But seeing as I live about a mile and a half from the stadium, I let my old roommate talk me into walking to the stadium and attending the opening ceremony.


The opening ceremony consists of a bunch of Omaha big wigs giving speeches and an introduction of all 8 teams that "survived the road to Omaha." That was a big theme. Surviving. I didn't know that the road to Omaha was that dangerous. When I took the road to Omaha, it was pretty easy and uneventful, but evidently these teams went through some kind of peril and were the last surviving of their kind.


After we watched these surviving young men walk across the field, the real reason I came began. The fireworks show. The fireworks for the CWS are the best ever. I've heard that the one fireworks show costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and I love it. It's the only reason I support the CWS. Other than the fireworks show, I hate that they had to pick Omaha for the CWS. I mostly hate it because the traffic around my house is horrific. I don't dare venture close to my exit from the freeway. To take the 13th street exit, traffic is backed up for miles and miles. Then once people get off the freeway, they begin congesting the neighborhoods looking for a free place to park. It gets super annoying when my 15 min drive home takes over an hour.

Despite all that I hate about the CWS, last nights fireworks made it worth it. So, in the next two weeks, if I'm talking to you on the phone and complaining that I'm in standstill traffic, just remind me that I saw the fireworks.


No comments: